Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Book Trends on the T

When I am not taking a nap on the T, I am trying to keep myself entertained with reading something or really anything...

In the winter, every time I sat down next to someone with an open book, they were reading from the series "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" or "The Girl Who Played with Fire", or " The Girls Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larsson. Just reading the titles alone gave me these edgy unpleasant association.Nonetheless, after several occasional over the shoulder scattered readings, I am now curious to read one of them or watch the movie that's already on DVD.

To be honest, it's not a question of what titles are popular on the T, it's a question of what type of devices people are using to do the reading. I've read somewhere that more and more school are implementing iPads instead of textbooks, so I think it's not a prophecy or a new idea to suggest that books are on the way to become relics of the past. Lately, I mostly see people using the Kindle by Amazon. By the way, it's harder to read over someone's shoulder if he or she is reading from a Kindle. People tend to cling to their screens and quickly scroll down the page. In fact, I believe with the advent of Kindles and iPads, reading over someone shoulder may become obsolete. I am waiting for telescreens to become available like in George Orwell's novel "1984".







1 comment:

Tyler said...

Is there any chance of a post about fall fashions soon? You haven't posted since May!

(comment intended to motivate, not pressure)

Post a Comment